Lyocell is a light and biodegradable material. Its fibers are stronger than other similar fibers, which means you are getting a shirt which lasts longer and looks better for a longer period of time. Lyocell is also known by the name Tencel and is made from Eucalyptus trees. This is a fast-growing plant, which does not require tons of water or pesticides to grow. After harvesting the Eucalyptus tree, the tree is soaked in a solution called amine oxide, which is non-toxic. The amine oxide extracts the raw cellulose, so it can be made into fibers which can be spun into yarn, and finally fabrics.
- Lyocell is very environmentally friendly, because it is produced in a closed loop, so all chemicals used are recycled
- It is a strong material, quick drying and has a good absorbency
- The absorbency is 50% better than cotton, and because of the incredibly good absorbency, the material is anti-bacterial
- The fabric feels very light and soft, and doesn’t absorb sweat odor
- 100% biodegradable
- And fun fact – it is made from trees
- It is an expensive material